Wednesday, April 11, 2012

An Eye for an Eye


An Eye for an Eye

Here is my very old experience but still fresh in my mind.This post is not intended to boast that I care socially but a sincere attempt to invigorate people to do more for our under privileged sections of the society.

It had always intrigued me to do something for visually challenged people(blind is so much a negative word),Was looking around for opportunities to do something hit upon a chance to be a scribe to them courtesy a guy from Loyola College.Loyola College has special departments that teach courses for these special people and conducts exams as well.When these people study using braille books or audio visual aids, writing exams is impossible for them and there-in we could do our part.

I was fearful at first for the success and failure of the person whom I was writing was not dependent on him but on me and so I had to be doubly careful to doing it right.Overcame nervousness and went in for the exam.Ushered in the exam hall, and there was a bright guy sitting in the bench with all the hopes and no nervousness that we would typically associate with a student in exam hall.

A small tip or a tutorial for first time scribes could ease some pressure, but nevertheless it was not a daunting task.Question papers were given and this guy was asked 2-3 times of the exact question code for all depends on that.different people were doing different exams and so possibility of people eavesdropping were next to null.




One amazing thing was all these special guys had to remember and recollect every thing right from question code to exam pattern-vividly remembered the time when we used to check the paper code from the hall ticket.These people had to be doubly careful for they cannot afford to make mistakes.So all of them memorized even the exam codes and paper pattern.

This guy was so confident and wished me good morning and they had some basic etiquette and they understand that we are there to aid them and are more happy.He opened the discussion a little about his wishes that he wants to study nano technology and amazed me his area knowledge when I said I am hailing from Adyar, he asked do you come from near Madhya Kailash, I was humbled a little coz he knew what he was asking about and talking about.Then went on to explain what I do and he was more than keen to listen.These people listen intently for its some knowledge which they get it without much effort which otherwise they would have to if they were to learn it through braille books or audio visual
courses.

Exam bell rang,I got the question paper, he gave his pen.He asked me to read the big mark questions first-smart chap!. I went on to read both the question choices.He examined both and selected one.One thing to be remembered here even in this he has to make sure he remembers to remembers the first question choice and evaluate between both in choosing all in memory for we have an easy task in juggling between front and back as many times we want.

He started dictating, had an amazing memory power.When I started hearing the lines said by him I knew the stories I had essayed in many exam papers.He gave clear instructions and was damn particular in the way the layout of the answer had to look, I could not afford to do wrong for it was his exam and his efforts.One problem I found was these people had not written and so I had a tough time managing the speed in which he was telling, he was so quick for me for I had to stop him midway asking him again.I boasted myself that I could write in quick but with his dictation speed I had to eat my words.

I thanked myself for I selected English coz I could write in little quicker(had a harrowing time writing in Tamil-more on that later)started writing as quick as I can as legible as I can, i can afford to lose marks on my exam but this was his and so I had onerous responsibility to do it right.He was telling quick and fast and I had developed hand pain-first time in many years during exams-courtesy the guy.

Need to share with you an awesome thing that happened.There was a question to distinguish between private and public sector companies.and so he asked to me draw lines and that too only with pencil and so I asked I would draw one line-he asked me to draw two- i asked only 2 differentiation and so one line is enough and then he told me to draw two and so I did.

He asked me to write titles as "classification basis", "private sector", "public sector" Gosh,I kneeled before this guy.Since kindergarten days I would have encountered 1000s of classification questions many a time we have skipped those questions never drew lines in the middle and here was a guy asking me to put a title for the classification basis.

I completed the big mark questions and with him on the way I knew this guy would zoom in marks in this exam and then he came to short answer questions he was right to the point and even gave examples to quote for short answers.Meanwhile beverages were provided and I gave him which he plainly refused saying it is for us.I frankly dint want to drink it that time coz that is his exam time.we completed the exam right on time and this guy also had sketch pens to underline important points, I had to underline the whole paper for in all were important.

I did the same and felt damn happy for this guy.He happened to mention that he had flunked a paper and was repeating it that semester.He dint retort with a thank you-I still have not forgotten what he said-Thanks you wrote in real quick for I had tough time in some exams for people to catch up with my speed.My hands were writhing in pain but for a good reason.

I wished him all the best for consecutive exams and parted ways with that amazing person.

This experienced prompted me to undertake more assignments for such people and I happen to repeat it more than once after this episode.

Happen to write in Tamil for a guy in teachers training school in Saidapet. Found it damn damn hard to write in Tamil for it had been almost 6-8 years since I had written Tamil and all the more Tamil is different script compared to English and i wrote it in a peculiar way making it even more hard.and this guy had not read properly it seems.He happen to repeat the same thing again and again and I had to stop him to tell you had told already and he would come up with next lines for the question.We finished the exam and I bid him good bye feeling happy once again.

I request everyone of them to experience this rich feeling at least once in their lifetime.....

All the best for you all-not sure if there are scribe opportunities right now-but this link could prove helpful www.iscribe.co.in

I scribed.......................V N Balaji

2 comments:

  1. Very Nice one da.. balaji.,

    Keep posting !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really a nice one balaji..

    ReplyDelete